This pie can be Mediterranean, Middle eastern and Moorish. In short all the “MMMMMM”
An easy, nourishing, fun dish to prepare at home with the kids or adults…and using all those greens they refuse to eat usually!
You can make it vegan by substituting the ghee with a different oil (Macadamia, olive etc..) and the fetta with cashew cheese or tofu or tempe.
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic Clove
- 2 Bunches of chard /silverbeet, finely shredded
- 2 Zucchini, Diced
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 300 g goat fetta cheese crumbled or grated
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped dill
- 200g Puy lentils (Cooked for 10-15 minutes and drained)
- 12-14 sheets filo pastry
- 250 g ghee, melted
- Salt + Pepper
- Preheat oven to180C.
- Peel and dice 1 onion and 2 garlic cloves. Sweat them in a saucepan with a little olive oil for 5-6 minutes until they soften and sweeten. Stir the ground spices into softened golden onions and cook for another 30 seconds before adding the cooked lentils and stir it in to absorb the flavours.
- For the chard, zucchini and fetta mix: heat 60ml (1/4cup) oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onions, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add Zucchini, chard and 1 teaspoon of fennel and cumin, and cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes or until kale is soft. Cool for 5 minutes, add the greens and zucchini mix onto the lentils, tossing the crumbed fetta, dill, seasoning with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool down.
Stack 3 filo sheets, brushing in between with ghee.
- Cover remaining filo sheets with a clean, damp tea towel. Place a portion of filling in a thin line lengthwise along the pastry edge. Roll up lengthwise. Starting at the centre of a round cake pan, carefully coil roll, seam-side down. Repeat with remaining pastry, butter and filling, joining each roll to the end of the last and coiling it around the previous roll until the pan is filled.
- Brush pie with ghee. Sprinkle with sesame and remaining 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Scatter green garnish over pie to serve.